About Us


First Lutheran Church Mission Statement:
    Gather in Faith -
        Grow through Grace -
            Share the Good News of Jesus Christ

First Lutheran Church Affiliation:
 First Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).  For more information, click here to go to the ELCA website.    
 We are a part of the Western North Dakota Synod (WND).  The synod offices are located in Bismarck, ND.  For more information, click here to go to the WND website.

A Brief History:

First Lutheran has a long history in Minot. We were the first congregation founded in the fledging farm community on the banks of the Souris River, which became a bustling railroad town in 1886. It was then that the Great Northern Railroad and its legendary chairman, James J. Hill, decided to cross the Souris (Mouse) river near here, on his way to the Pacific. He named this town after a friend of the family, Henry D. Minot. The land on which this church, and much of Mr. Hill's railroad was built, belonged at the time to a member of First Lutheran, Mr. Erik Ramstad.

We look with pride at our past, which includes involvement in the Nurses Training School housed at Trinity Hospital, as well as the founding of Trinity Nursing Home. The First Lutheran Church Foundation, begun in the late 1960's, and which today has endowed funds over $800,000, has been used to send many members of FLC to the seminary and on to parish ministry. It also emphasizes overseas mission work, and provides several thousand dollars every year to support missionaries in foreign countries.

We are blessed to have a beautiful sanctuary, one of the largest in Western North Dakota. But our focus is always on the future, and the role God has for us in the unfolding work of the Holy Spirit to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed.